Watch the video to learn how to apply.
(Or click on Mozart’s nose to apply...)
In the Footsteps of Mozart
Study Abroad to Vienna, Salzburg, and Prague
Central Washington University
Spring 2018, MUS 398
Europe Trip: June 11–June 24, 2018
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–1791) has fascinated generations of musicians. His name is synonymous with genius. He produced masterpieces in virtually every Classical genre, including the symphony, solo piano music, the concerto, chamber music, and of course his brilliant operas. In this course we will study the life and music of Mozart, with a particular attention to the context of 18th-century Salzburg, Vienna, and Prague. We will also discuss other important composers such as Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, and Mahler.
During the spring term, students will meet regularly to complete our study and prepare ourselves to experience a 14-day trip to view the places where Mozart walked, created, and performed. During our trip to Vienna, Salzburg, and Prague, we will visit magnificent cathedrals, attend opera performances, visit museums, and see the palaces that supported the music of Mozart and other important composers.
Want to be updated about this course in the future?
Sign up here to receive future updates and announcements. It’s the best way to stay current with the course.
(schedule subject to change)
- Attend an opera in a Viennese Theater
- Visit the Esterhazy Palace, where Haydn lived and worked
- Visit Heiligenstadt, where Beethoven wrote his famous Heiligenstadt Testament
- Take a tour of Salzburg, where Mozart was born
- Visit the Musical Instrument Museum in Prague
- Attend an opera in Prague, in the opera house where Mozart conducted the premiere of The Mozart of Figaro
What’s your investment?
Program Fee and Inclusions (serviced through Hart Travel Partners)
Based on 13 students in triple/quad rooms: $5390
Twin room upgrade: $350
Single room upgrade: $650
- Round-trip air transportation.
- Full time program director.
- 12 nights hotel accommodations in rooms with private bathrooms.
- 12 breakfasts, 5 dinners.
- Medical insurance.
- All tips.
- Entrances: as bolded in the itinerary.
- Musical performances as stated in the itinerary.
- Passport and visa fees (not required by American citizens).
- Beverages with meals.
- Extra baggage fees (1 item of checked luggage is included).
- Optional musical activities as per itinerary.
Registration and Payments
Participants should register with their names as they appear or will appear on their passports. HTP will assess a $150 name change fee plus any additional airline charges for any registered participant who requests a name change in writing.
Payment Deadlines (UPDATED 11/1/17):
- Friday, November 24, 2017 - $500 trip deposit
- Monday, January 8, 2018 - $2,000 payment
- Friday, March 2, 2018 - $1,000 payment
- Thursday, April 5, 2018 - $1,890 payment
Cancellations must be submitted in writing, including by email or fax. The date of the cancellation is the date on which HTP receives the notice. Payments cannot be transferred to another account.
- December 13 or before - $200 refund
- December 14 - March 3 - $350 Refund
- March 4 – April 12 - $1,000 Refund
- April 13 or after – No Refund
Ideas on how to raise funds
- Write a letter to all of your relatives asking them to support you on this trip
- Communicate with the financial aid office to see what funds are available to support this experience
- Ask civic groups in your hometown for support
- Ask for “Cash for the Mozart trip” for Holiday and birthday gifts
- The group can fundraise together (car wash, bake sale, special concert featuring Mozart’s music, etc.)
- Go fund me.com
- Facebook/social media appeals
- There are others…be creative!